Staatsburgh State Historic Site, formerly referred to as Mills Mansion, was the Gilded Age country home of Ogden Mills and Ruth Livingston Mills. The East Portico at Staatsburgh, originally designed by renowned architect Stanford White during his 1895 renovation of the house, is the first view one gets of the mansion, on entering the estate. Decades of underinvestment left the structure in dire need of structural and aesthetic rehabilitation. It was not only visually deteriorating; it was structurally unsound and had become a safety hazard.
The work completed earlier this month included the restoration of the grand marble staircase and deck, massive fluted columns supporting the pediment roof above, and various classical decorative elements. The $2.1 million project also included accessibility improvements.
This is the third major rehabilitation project to be completed at Staatsburgh as part of the New York Works program, totaling $4.2 million. Last fall, rehabilitation of the landmark stone estate wall and return of the historic, wrought iron gates and eagles at the gateway to site were completed. Repairs to the mansion’s roof have also been completed.